[Openstack-sigs] [Openstack-operators] [nova] StarlingX diff analysis

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:29:04 UTC 2018

On 8/7/2018 1:10 AM, Flint WALRUS wrote:
> I didn’t had time to check StarlingX code quality, how did you feel it
> while you were doing your analysis?

I didn't dig into the test diffs themselves, but it was my impression
that from what I was poking around in the local git repo, there were
several changes which didn't have any test coverage.

For the really big full stack changes (L3 CAT, CPU scaling and
shared/pinned CPUs on same host), toward the end I just started glossing
over a lot of that because it's so much code in so many places, so I
can't really speak very well to how it was written or how well it is
tested (maybe WindRiver had a more robust CI system running integration
tests, I don't know).

There were also some things which would have been caught in code review
upstream. For example, they ignore the "force" parameter for live
migration so that live migration requests always go through the
scheduler. However, the "force" parameter is only on newer
microversions. Before that, if you specified a host at all it would
bypass the scheduler, but the change didn't take that into account, so
they still have gaps in some of the things they were trying to
essentially disable in the API.

On the whole I think the quality is OK. It's not really possible to
accurately judge that when looking at a single diff this large.

Matt