[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact]Initial Ideas on forming the First Contact SIG

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 10:03:45 UTC 2017

> On 2017. Sep 27., at 9:46, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 26/09/17 08:25 +0800, Zhipeng Huang wrote:
>> @Thierry:
>> Yes the mentors are far from organized and numerically enough, for example
>> we barely feel its existence in China. The mentors cannot be some one that
>> is only reachable via IRC or at the summit. It should be proper-trained
>> local developers that could provide f2f offline help. That is why the local
>> chapter leads are so important in this matter. They are the real and flesh
>> that first-comers could come to instead of testing waters via any strange
>> activities.
>
> I think the point you made in this last paragraph is quite important. The lack
> of local mentors is one of the problems we need to solve.
>
> In this particular case, I don't think we need to nail down the deepest root
> cause of these behaviours, we know they exist and we know the impact they have
> in our community. I'm not as interested in knowing exactly who is bahaving this
> way - or why they are doing it - as I'm in setting up a process to reach out to
> these folks and provide mentoring. At the very least, I'd like there to be
> enough learning resources.
>
> We can start by focusing on expanding our mentoring groups. It is known that
> mentor's presence in some countries is low and sometimes non existant. In
> addition to this, we can also work on translating some of the guides we already
> have like the project team guide.
>
> Zhipeng Huang, do you think we can start by mentoring local folks in your
> community and finding volunteers to translate the Project Team Guide? Do you
> think this would help?
>
> Once we have local mentors - and hopefully translated guides - we can push
> forward the idea of having a SIG like the one proposed. As others, I'm worried
> that creating a new SIG right now would not produce the results we want as there
> is still not a clear understand of how we can help solving this problem. One
> thing I would expect from this SIG is to have some sort of deliverables (new
> guides, create new mentors, promote translation of the existing guides, etc)
> instead of being a body waiting for newcomers to reach out.

I think the SIG would be a great place to look into more ad-hoc mentoring and finding the ways to proactively reach out to people and/or organizations where we feel the need for it. In my view this would be a group of go to people who are offering help and also people who care about the difficulties in general that the new contributors face with and willing to look for solutions.

I see the connection to the mentoring program the WoO group is doing, but I don’t think it’s a full overlap.

I think we can also gather examples on how projects are doing on boarding and help where we don’t have coverage to have a few people in each team who are doing coaching and mentoring in some extent when needed. We can also more proactively focus on regions to ensure we are inclusive and have people to reach out to locally as much as possible and finally as you said produce guidelines where we feel beneficial.

Thanks,
Ildikó