[Openstack-sigs] [meta] Proposal for self-healing SIG

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Tue Sep 19 20:53:07 UTC 2017

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Frittoli <andrea.frittoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:34 PM Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:
>> [TL;DR: we want to set up a "self-healing infrastructure" SIG.]
>>
>Nice!
>
>> One of the biggest promises of the cloud vision was the idea that all
>> the infrastructure could be managed in a policy-driven fashion,
>> reacting to failures and other events by automatically healing and
>> optimising services.  Most of the components required to implement
>> such an architecture already exist, e.g.

[snipped]

>> However, there is not yet a clear strategy within the community for
>> how these should all tie together.
>>
>> So at the PTG last week in Denver, we held an initial cross-project
>> meeting to discuss this topic.[0]  It was well-attended, with
>> representation from almost all of the relevant projects, and it felt
>> like a very productive session to me.  I shall do my best to summarise
>> whilst trying to avoid any misrepresentation ...
>
>I'm sorry that I missed the session at the PTG :)

Sorry that I didn't think to invite QA ;-)

>Do you have any plan / idea yet about how verification might look
>like for the integration between all the projects in your list and
>for self-healing specific scenarios?

That's a great question!  But honestly - not yet.  It's a little early
for that, as we've hardly started identifying the various use cases
yet - that would be one of the first steps after formally establishing
the SIG.

>During the QA sessions at the PTG we discussed about HA / fault tolerance
>testing. There is a proposal for a community framework for that, however
>we have no plan yet about where to run / how to maintain such tests for
>OpenStack.

I'm guessing you are referring to this?

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/443504/

>It might be a fitting use case for this rising SIG.

Yes, indeed!  I hope you can join us and help with automating testing
when it's needed :-)