[Openstack-sigs] [meta] [ansible] Initial cut of Ansible SIG on SIGs wiki page; next steps

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Aug 11 09:26:29 UTC 2017

On 01/08/17 13:57 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>Excerpts from Robyn Bergeron's message of 2017-08-01 10:23:49 -0700:
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I've taken a first swag at what the Ansible SIG would look like on the SIG
>> wiki page, listed under Proposed SIGs:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_SIGs#Ansible

Thanks, this looks great!

>> Feedback welcome on what I've listed; it may be a bit more context than
>> what is needed, but I suspect once I've moved on to making an actual wiki
>> page for the SIG itself and getting all the other infrastructure details in
>> place (rather than TBD), most of this can move into the wiki page -- and
>> the SIGs page can be updated to say that it's active, and just provide the
>> minimal description and pointers.
>>
>> Next steps as I see them:
>>
>> * Contact my short list of victims, err, highly likely collaborators who
>> have previously expressed interest to make sure this is in-line with what
>> they'd like to see, and get one of them to be a co-chair; have them sanity
>> check a draft announcement and the list of mailing lists / teams to tag in
>> sending an announcement
>> * Create a wiki page, populated at least with the information listed in the
>> Proposed SIG wiki space
>> * Get an irc channel
>
>We're bursting at the seams already with channels, and reaching the
>bounds of what can be logged. Does each SIG need its own channel? In
>this particular case, there are already a few related channels that
>could be reused, but in other cases do we want to use #openstack or
>#openstack-sig?
>
>> * Create an initial meeting agenda
>> * Create a poll (somewhere? doodle?) to determine IRC meeting times that
>> will be the least likely to conflict with other meetings and the lives of
>> people who want to come
>> * Send announcement to sanity-checked list of places / teams; include wiki
>> info, targeted week of first meeting, poll for picking a specific meeting
>> time, reminder to join the SIG mailing list and use the [ansible] tag
>> * Have a meeting. Have more meetings! But probably every other week,
>> because there are lots of meetings already.
>
>We're also going through a transition of encouraging teams to *not*
>meet, but to do work asynchronously using mailing lists. So you could
>skip the scheduling stuff and just starting having conversations on this
>list. It's up to the participants, of course.

Agreed!

Unless there are topics that really need some sort of synchronous
communications, I'd recommend relying on the -sig mailing list entirely. The
more we enoucrage SIGs to focus their communications there, the easier it'll be
for other folks to just catch up and participate.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco