[Openstack-sigs] [meta] Initial working groups to convert to SIGs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 9 09:35:08 UTC 2017

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Has there been any case where someone expressed such a reluctance,
>>> to either us or any other WG, due to their perception of
>>> upstream/downstream? This is something I have not heard about
>>> until now.
>>
>> My guess is that we never actually get such feedback from people who
>> fail to engage in or otherwise associate with a given group, because
>> it's driven by a process of self-selection rather than rejection.
>
> Well,  then it would be interesting if six months from now we ask people who join the API SIG why they joined when they did, and unless they are new to OpenStack, if they didn’t feel welcome before.

I actually do sometimes get questions about whether it is appropriate to
join a specific workgroup based on the person's background.

It is also an empirical fact that most TC-governed workgroups lack
operator participants, and most UC-governed workgroups lack developer
participants. It's clearly not because the scope of the group is
one-sided (developers are interested in scaling issues, operators are
interested in deployment issues). It's because developers assume that a
user committee workgroup about "large deployments" is meant to gather
operator feedback rather than implementing solutions. It's because
operators assume that an upstream-born workgroup about "deployment" is
only to explore development commonalities between the various deployment
strategies. Let's break the artificial barriers and making it clear(er)
that workgroups are for everyone, by disconnecting them of the
governance domains and the useless upstream/downstream division.

I frequently get questions (or have to clear obvious confusion) about
the various styles of workgroups we have, and how difficult it is to
find them. IMHO this fragmentation is actively hurting us, and I hope we
can ultimately turn all of the various workgroup styles into SIGs that
are not tied to any specific governance body. I want to prominently
feature them in the upcoming "contributor portal" as a way to contribute
to OpenStack.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)