[Openstack-sigs] [meta] Initial working groups to convert to SIGs

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Aug 8 12:28:12 UTC 2017

(First, a meta: can we adjust the mailing list configuration so the
reply-to is the list, so we don't have this thing where responses go
to the author and the list, or just the author. Very messy.)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> The workload is the same, since the group would still have the very same
> scope and expected outputs. The rebranding (and move to a new common
> communication ML) is signaling that the group is not an upstream or a
> downstream workgroup, it is just an OpenStack workgroup, and everyone is
> welcome. People who previously hesitated to join *might* take that step
> once we remove the artificial barriers to entry.

Can you define your terms upstream and downstream here? We use them
in so many different ways, yet I'm never quite sure how they mean
nor the parties involved.

> Based on that history, I would say that classifying it as an upstream or
> downstream workgroup hurt the API WG in the past. The SIG initiative is
> all about clearly saying that work groups don't have to be on one side
> or the other, they can just be groups of OpenStack humans wanting to
> achieve some objective together, without having governance (or
> mailing-list boundaries) get into the way. There is really nothing more
> to it :)

One of the main concerns we expressed when discussing this in the
last api-wg meeting was whether a move to the os-sig mailing list
would mean the weekly newsletter loses its audience, or whether
perhaps we should publish in both places and if we do that, gosh
isn't that annoying?

The identity of the group and the membership of the group aren't
really concerns. We want participation from everyone who is
interested, in any role. We're most concerned with disrupting the
habits have been successful so far (having a cheery weekly IRC
meeting, reaching the developer audience with the newsletter, and
hearing from the developer audience via [api] tags). None of that
needs to change but we do want to make sure that we integrate
whatever new procedures (whatever they might be, what are they?)
effectively.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/