[openstack-qa] on copyright notices

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Thu May 16 10:26:26 UTC 2013

On 05/16/2013 12:04 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 05/16/2013 05:25 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>> I'd say we continue to put the "Copyright $YEAR OpenStack Foundation"
>> string on top of the source files, rather than stripping out the notice.
>>
>> Is there anything wrong in doing that?
>
> Actually, there has been an active discussion on legal-discuss on this -
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/legal-discuss/2013-May/000022.html
>
> I think the community is currently leaning towards removing the
> copyright statements completely, because they aren't really needed
> (given git history), and they are wildly inaccurate (given that the
> major of folks aren't updating them correctly).

thanks for pointing me to the proper list :)

the discussion also seems to be very recent; apparently there isn't such
an issue with non copyrighted software, will ask on legal-discuss

for people interested, also see this:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/legal-discuss/2013-April/000000.html
--
Giulio Fidente