[openstack-qa] on copyright notices

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Thu May 16 09:25:28 UTC 2013

hi all,

not of great interest to many probably but following a recent discussion
on #openstack-qa regarding the copyright assignment in the source files,
I decided to investigate this a bit further.

Wikipedia suggests that only copyright holders have the authority to sue
when a license violation takes place.

Also it seems that software not copyrighted is considered public domain
software and, as such, can be incorporated into any work whether
proprietary or free.

I'd say we continue to put the "Copyright $YEAR OpenStack Foundation"
string on top of the source files, rather than stripping out the notice.

Is there anything wrong in doing that?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA | IRC: giulivo