[openstack-qa] Tempest stress test status

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu May 2 13:59:21 UTC 2013

On 05/01/2013 04:08 PM, David Kranz wrote:
> The stress tests in Tempest are never run. They are also incomplete and
> too complicated, though
> they did find many bugs when they were first put in use.
> The history of the complexity is that they tried to hit the system as
> hard as possible within a single thread and
> were created before there were stable Tempest rest clients. I would
> really like to see these tests
> run so I uploaded https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27950/ which is a
> drastically simplified version.
>
> This version spawns multiple processes to do the bashing and each action
> script is a simple "scenario".
> I wanted to get some opinions about this as a direction for stress
> tests. There is currently just a simple
> create/destroy test there but it does sometimes fail with an error in
> the log for which there is a bug
> which was closed as fixed.
>
> After getting any feedback, I would like to add some more scenarios and
> put this in a periodic job.
> There is still a big problem in that ERRORs are still written into nova
> logs when there s actually nothing
> wrong. There are bugs filed about that but I believe the problem is
> still there. The stress tests cannot be
> really useful unless clean runs produce no log ERRORS.

I like the idea (just reading through the code now), but in my ideal
world it would be nice to have the error log handling don't through a
nova extension, so we could fully orchestrate this via APIs instead of
requiring setting up ssh credentials to go find logs (it feels like that
could break down a little too easily).

If adding a nova extension for the log fetch is time prohibitive at this
point, this would still be a big win over what we've got.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net