[openstack-qa] [Tempest] Blueprint: add-scenario-tests

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Wed Mar 27 13:39:24 UTC 2013

On 3/27/2013 7:37 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> I think there is value here, though tests like this are long enough
> that we need to think really hard about if we'd run it in the gate.
> And if not, what the value of having them in tempest is.
The main question I have is: what kinds of bugs will such tests likely
find that the current tempest tests will not?
If these tests are making API calls that tempest does not, then tempest
should be fixed to include those calls.
If the issue is that these calls in some particular order might cause
bugs while the way tempest makes the calls does not show the bugs, we
should have tests that stress that ordering.
But there is no reason to think that such stress will be related to some
call order that makes sense to a user. From the system view, there are
lots of users and their
requests are handled in an arbitrary interleaved way.

I think what we really need are better stress tests, and to run them
regularly. The existing stress tests found a lot of bugs at the
beginning but they are overly complex in part because they duplicate current
tempest abstractions that were not present at the time the stress tests
were created. They are also lamed by the spurious ERRORs in log files
even when nothing is wrong, a problem which is being worked on. The
kinds of scenarios suggested here could be good building blocks for
stress tests.

  -David