[openstack-qa] [Tempest] Blueprint: add-scenario-tests

Yaniv Kaul Ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 01:27:35 UTC 2013

Without the ability to configure OpenStack,  it's not going to fly.  Configure means:
0. Installation scenarios (installation of different components on different hosts)
1. Ini files manipulation (nova.conf and friends)  and restarting services
2. JSON files manipulation (policy files)
3. Configuration via the API (and/or nova-manage)

The above are basic blocks to any true scenario (and end to end) testing.
Y.

Masayuki Igawa <igawa at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp> wrote:

Hi,

Here is a blueprint I've registered.
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/add-scenario-tests

This blueprint proposes to add a new category "scenario tests" in Tempest.
Scenario tests are for testing across the components such as Nova, Keystone, Glance and so on.
By scenario tests, developers will be able to check whether a new code (bug-fixes or features) will cause a side effect to the other components.
We will be able to check OpenStack basic functions by common use case scenarios.
I'd like to propose a minimum basic scenario test that must work at any OpenStack environments.

Implementation
===============
* add tempest/tests/scenario directory
* add scenario tests in the directory like following

"""
Scenario-1: very small cloud, basic life-cycle scenario, single-flavor, single-image, single-tenant...
- for admin user
1. Create a flavor
2. Create a image
3. Configure network settings
4. Create & configure a member role, a project, a quota, a user
- for regular user
5. Create a key-pair
6. Boot a instance. List & show the instance
7. Create a volume. List & show the volume
8. Attach the volume
9. Detach the volume
10. Delete the instance
- for admin user
11. Delete the user, the role, the network, the image, the tenant, and the flavor
"""

We think that the scenario tests can raise the use case coverage that is important for user's viewpoint.

We'd like to discuss the following points, so any comments are welcome.
 * Points of the implementation
   * How do we implement the scenario tests?
     * via CLI/RestClient/client library...
     * Where do we implement in the directory?
   * Points of Scenarios
     * scenario categories: Private cloud, Public cloud, VPC
     * the scale: # of tenants, users, networks, and so on
     * the way of verifying: RESTful APIs, ping, ssh, and so on

Thanks,
Masayuki Igawa