[openstack-qa] Data encapsulation within Tempest

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 11 22:51:53 UTC 2013

On 06/11/2013 05:01 PM, Attila Fazekas wrote:

> [...]

It's not a gray area.

> There are situations where the 4xx error codes should be changed to 5xx.
> I mean If the service is miss-configured or a dependent component down,
> it is not client's (4xx) fault.
>
> In some not yet tested situation, we might see 2xx code instead of 4xx,
> IMHO they should be fixed.

The guidelines don't tell the whole story. As a Nova core reviewer we've
been trying to prevent random error code changing as well, and it was
part of the whole point of v3 API transition.

Stable APIs are critical to API adoption. It's much more important that
a kind of failure today fails the same way tomorrow than it becomes
semantically correct by someone's current interpretation of HTTP. :)

We have version bumps on the API for a reason. Just because we've been
completely terrible documenting the API surface doesn't give people the
free hand to randomly change error codes.

Honestly though, this has turned into a completely useless theoretical
discussion, where I don't think anything has come out of it except burnt
time. It would be better if we used this kind of energy on things like
our high priority blueprints - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest

Like, for instance, getting testr into the mix, which we've been talking
about as a team for the last 6 months. Matt's working on it now, but it
could definitely use more hands, eyes, etc.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net