[openstack-qa] A tempest test cann't pass gate-grenade-devstack-vm

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at au1.ibm.com
Thu Jul 25 00:46:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:22:32 -0400
Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:48:19PM +0930, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:08:03 +0800
> > Zhu Bo <bozhu at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Just to expand on this a bit, from the logs it appears that within
> > the grenade environment the compute_v3 endpoint can't be found.
> > However the same test does pass within the normal tempest/devstack
> > gate environment. We were wondering if there is perhaps some change
> > that is required to add the compute_v3 endpoint into the grenade
> > environment (more than the devstack changeset which has already
> > been merged).
>
> So if I remember correctly grenade uses devstack but has to use a
> separate configuration because the defaults in devstack-gate are not
> going to be the same from grizzly to master. (a good example is heat)
> So you probably will have to make changes to ensure that it's getting
> enabled when grenade is enabled. You can look at:
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate.sh
> to see if there is anything that needs to be added for grenade (I
> didn't see anything that would break v3 at first glance)

Thanks we'll double check those as well. Talking to Sean last night it
looks like it is most likely due to the api-paste file not being
updated when upgrading nova in grenade. This is deliberately not done
automatically because of api-paste being considered a config file more
than "code". But I've heard different opinions as well so if anyone else
has an opinion please chime in :-) In the meantime we'll add some code
to manually update the paste file to enable the v3 api when upgrading
nova in grenade.

> But, I'm curious is there a reason that the v3 tests in tempest don't
> api version endpoint discovery? I did this for the glance tests so
> that if there isn't a v2 endpoint (or a v1 endpoint) then those tests
> are just skipped. Something similar should easily be implementable
> for nova's apis. This way nova v3 api isn't are hard requirement for
> running tempest. (Which I don't think it should be)

I don't think we should do auto skipping of tests for v3 (perhaps a
config file option instead) because of the risk of accidentally
skipping them. A config option instead perhaps.

I do think v3 testing will need to be come a hard requirement for
tempest testing pretty soon. Otherwise we are going to regress pretty
quickly given how easy it is to modify the v2 api without modifying the
v3 one.

> I'm also not sure testing the v3 api in grenade is needed at this
> point since it wasn't in grizzly there really isn't an upgrade path
> so I don't think that there is any extra value in testing it in
> grenade too. (I might be wrong about this though)

I think that's true, but there isn't an easy way to disable tests just
for grenade is there?

Regards,

Chris