[openstack-qa] Disable all volume tests?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Jul 16 18:20:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:06:57AM -0700, Jay Buffington wrote:
> My openstack installation does not include volume storage.  I want to run
> tempests against it, but I get a lot of errors/failures related to cinder.
>  For example, all the tests in tempest.api.compute.volumes error.

Is there a reason for this? You may have found a bug in either cinder, the
nova volumes extension(what's being tested there) or tempest. You can also
exclude tests with the '--exclude=' nose option

> I see that BaseVolumeTest skips tests when it can't find a cinder endpoint,
> but that code doesn't get run for tests under tempest.api.compute.
>
> Perhaps tempest should having a setting to skip all tests that require
> cinder:
>
>     [volume]
>     cinder_available = false
>
> Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?  Or should I add a
> blueprint/bug for this?

That's probably the best way to do this. Of course you won't be able to skip from
the base class for compute. You'll have to add the skips on a per test class
basis for test classes that require cinder.

This should probably be filed as a bug. In general we prefer to have skips like
that explicitly configurable instead of auto-failing. (like what's already there
with endpoint detection) The neutron_available flag is the good example of this.
So we'll want to change this from auto-failing regardless of whether this is
required for your specific case.

-Matt Treinish