[openstack-qa] New Client Test Suite

Joe Gordon jogo at cloudscaling.com
Tue Feb 12 22:39:37 UTC 2013

Hi All,

We currently have thorough API tests (Tempest) that do an excellent job of
testing nova, glance, keystone, etc.  But to date we don't have anything
that tests the assorted python clients.

Extensive python client tests, which would consist of mostly shell
commands, would prevent many bugs from arising such as:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1122958.

The question is where should theses tests live?

* Devstack/smoketests - these are just smoketests and are not designed to
be exhaustive
* Tempest  - currently explicitly doesn't use the python clients, but we
can add a separate folder that tests the clients
* In respective client repos -  easier to require new tests when adding to
client, but will result in divergent test suites
* Separate Repo - perhaps this is premature?

I propose adding a separate folder in tempest to run the python client
tests, and taking it from there.

best,
Joe Gordon