[openstack-qa] Wanting clarification of copyright headers on new files

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Feb 4 19:42:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh at au1.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:47:50 -0600
> Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18883/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18889/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18890/
> >
> > Once I have a "ruling" I'd like to have a definitive wiki page with
> > guidance as well.
>
> Yes that would be very handy. There are still pages around which talk
> about assigning copyright to OpenStack LLC which is probably adding to
> the confusion.
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/development_guidelines.html
>
> > Thanks for asking about it, and I would love the help with patches for
> > consistency across all projects once we have better guidance.
>
> I'd be happy to help if I'm permitted - if you haven't already done so
> it might be worth asking the lawyer who is permitted to make changes to
> the copyright lines - eg does it have to be someone who represents
> OpenStack LLC?
>
> In the meantime in order to minimise future fix up work I think it
> is reasonable to -1 any changeset with new files with copyright 2012
> (unless it really was written in 2012) or new files assigning
> copyright to OpenStack LLC? I guess someone will yell if its not :-)

As you can probably see from the -1s on the patchsets I submitted, people
will yell. :) I'm certain that OpenStack LLC no longer exists, and the
transfer occurred to the OpenStack Foundation, so that one is "correct" as
is the year is now 2013. However I am trying to avoid yearly copyright
updates by using -present to avoid annual maintenance. We'll see if the
lawyers will agree to that.

Anne