[openstack-qa] Tempest tests on a distributed topology

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Aug 19 12:41:14 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 04:06 AM, Tal Kammer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not familiar with how Tempest run it's tests (Jenkins) and was wondering if Tempest works currently as an "All in one", where all components are on the same machine, or if it has the capability of testing a distributed environment.
>
> Can someone give me more details on the matter?

Hi Tal!

Tempest takes a cloud endpoint as an input (along with a few other
things) and runs its tests in a black box manner. It's not really
involved in setting up the clouds it's testing.

In the CI system, we're currently using devstack to do an all-in-one
install on a pristine cloud node. The code to run this is here:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/tree/

We do that in several different combinations, so each change gets 4 or 5
different clouds created for it.

There are plans in work to also spin up multi-node clouds and test them
- but I doubt that those will land this cycle.

Monty