[openstack-qa] help/guidance on the reviewing process

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 25 15:05:25 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 10:16 AM, David Kranz wrote:
> On 4/25/2013 9:46 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm writing in order to ask for some help/guidance over the reviewing
>> process cause I faced a rather complex situation.
>>
>> Recently I submitted for review a new test:
>> https://review.openstack.org/27451/
>>
>> implements:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/add-snapshot-creation
>>
>> also fixes:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1172497
>>
>> the newly implemented test would only work if the bug is fixed, that
>> is why I posted them in a single review.
>>
>> Unfortunately the jenkins checks are failing because of an additional
>> different problem:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1172704
>>
>> I posted a 'recheck' comment on the initial review and the external
>> bug is now correctly listed on http://status.openstack.org/rechecks/
>>
>> A simple question: from a "process" pov, am I doing everything right?
> I would say yes except that you don't need a blueprint to add a new
> test. It is a gray area but IMO a blueprint would
> be suitable for some new set of tests but a bug ticket would be fine for
> adding a missing case or fixing a test.
>
> The link to the review is actually
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27451/ and I see that the build
> succeeded after the recheck.

Agreed, blueprints need to be more than a single test, because
blueprints are a little more heavy weight.

Think of blueprints as something that takes you 2 - 8 weeks to
implement. If the implementation time is a day, use a bug instead if you
want to track it (or use the whiteboard inside of a larger blueprint to
mark off doing things).

We can target bugs to milestones as well, and bugs are a little more
flexible to be tagged for various things, can be made cross project (so
for instance if a bug needs to be fixed in a core project as well as a
tempest test at the same time).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague