[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [ironic] [nova] [tripleo] Deprecation of Nova's integration with Ironic Capabilities and ComputeCapabilitiesFilter

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 22:23:26 UTC 2018

On 9/27/2018 3:02 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> A great example of this would be the proposed "deploy template" from
> [2]. This is nothing more than abusing the placement traits API in order
> to allow passthrough of instance configuration data from the nova flavor
> extra spec directly into the nodes.instance_info field in the Ironic
> database. It's a hack that is abusing the entire concept of the
> placement traits concept, IMHO.
>
> We should have a way *in Nova* of allowing instance configuration
> key/value information to be passed through to the virt driver's spawn()
> method, much the same way we provide for user_data that gets exposed
> after boot to the guest instance via configdrive or the metadata service
> API. What this deploy template thing is is just a hack to get around the
> fact that nova doesn't have a basic way of passing through some collated
> instance configuration key/value information, which is a darn shame and
> I'm really kind of annoyed with myself for not noticing this sooner. :(

We talked about this in Dublin through right? We said a good thing to do
would be to have some kind of template/profile/config/whatever stored
off in glare where schema could be registered on that thing, and then
you pass a handle (ID reference) to that to nova when creating the
(baremetal) server, nova pulls it down from glare and hands it off to
the virt driver. It's just that no one is doing that work.

Matt