[Openstack-operators] Network metadata+userdata and rate limits

Jean-Philippe Méthot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Mon Sep 17 22:31:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

We’ve been providing our VMs with metadata from the network for quite some time now and lately we’ve realized that when we reboot compute nodes for updates (so roughly 200 VMs are rebooting at once), some VM can’t access the metadata server. I believe this could be because of the nova-api ratelimiting, but I was unable to find proofs in the logs (No 403 forbidden at all in the log file). So, I was wondering :

-Can I disable the nova-api ratelimiting from paste-api.ini just as it was possible in kilo?
-Can I prevent cloud-init from running its latest user-data when it doesn’t receive metadata?

We currently use Pike on centos 7.

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack