[Openstack-operators] [octavia][rocky] Octavia and VxLAN without DVR

Florian Engelmann florian.engelmann at everyware.ch
Tue Oct 23 14:09:05 UTC 2018

Am 10/23/18 um 3:20 PM schrieb Erik McCormick:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM Florian Engelmann
> <florian.engelmann at everyware.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We did test Octavia with Pike (DVR deployment) and everything was
>> working right our of the box. We changed our underlay network to a
>> Layer3 spine-leaf network now and did not deploy DVR as we don't wanted
>> to have that much cables in a rack.
>>
>> Octavia is not working right now as the lb-mgmt-net does not exist on
>> the compute nodes nor does a br-ex.
>>
>> The control nodes running
>>
>> octavia_worker
>> octavia_housekeeping
>> octavia_health_manager
>> octavia_api
>>
>> and as far as I understood octavia_worker, octavia_housekeeping and
>> octavia_health_manager have to talk to the amphora instances. But the
>> control nodes are spread over three different leafs. So each control
>> node in a different L2 domain.
>>
>> So the question is how to deploy a lb-mgmt-net network in our setup?
>>
>> - Compute nodes have no "stretched" L2 domain
>> - Control nodes, compute nodes and network nodes are in L3 networks like
>> api, storage, ...
>> - Only network nodes are connected to a L2 domain (with a separated NIC)
>> providing the "public" network
>>
> You'll need to add a new bridge to your compute nodes and create a
> provider network associated with that bridge. In my setup this is
> simply a flat network tied to a tagged interface. In your case it
> probably makes more sense to make a new VNI and create a vxlan
> provider network. The routing in your switches should handle the rest.

Ok that's what I try right now. But I don't get how to setup something
like a VxLAN provider Network. I thought only vlan and flat is supported
as provider network? I guess it is not possible to use the tunnel
interface that is used for tenant networks?
So I have to create a separated VxLAN on the control and compute nodes like:

# ip link add vxoctavia type vxlan id 42 dstport 4790 group 239.1.1.1
dev vlan3535 ttl 5
# ip addr add 172.16.1.11/20 dev vxoctavia
# ip link set vxoctavia up

and use it like a flat provider network, true?