[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [SIGS] Ops Tools SIG

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Tue Oct 16 13:45:08 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 5:19 AM Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
<majopela at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Matthias and I talked this morning about this topic, and we came to realize
> that there's room for/would be beneficial to have a common place for:
>
> a) Documentation about second day operator tools which can be
>     useful with OpenStack, links to repositories or availability for every distribution.

Sounds like a Natural extension to the Ops Guide [1] which we've been
working to return to relevance. I suppose this could also be a wiki
like [2], but we should at least reference it in the guide. In any
event, massive cleanup of old, outdated content really needs to be
undertaken. That should be the other part of the mission I think.

> b) Deployment documentation/config snippets/deployment scripts for those tools
>     in integration with OpenStack.
>
> c)  Operator tools and bits which are developed or maintained on OpenStack repos,
>     specially the OpenStack related bits of those tools (plugins, etc),

We should probably try and revive [3] and make use of that more
effectively to address b and c. We've been trying to encourage
contribution to it for years, but it needs more contributors and some
TLC

> d) Home the organisation of ops-related rooms during OpenStack events, general
>      ones related to OpenStack, and also the distro-specific ones for the distros interested
>      in participation.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this item. We currently have a
team responsible for meetups and pushing Ops-related content into the
Forum at Summits. Do you propose merging the Ops Meetup Team into this
SIG?

> Does this scope for the SIG make sense to everyone willing to participate?
>

> Best regards,
> Miguel Ángel.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/operations-guide/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Operations