[Openstack-operators] [kolla] Berlin summit resume

Eduardo Gonzalez dabarren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:07:40 UTC 2018

Hi kollagues,

During the Berlin Summit kolla team had a few talks and forum discussions,
as well as other cross-project related topics [0]

First session was ``Kolla project onboarding``, the room was full of people
interested in contribute to kolla, many of them already using kolla in
production environments whiling to make upstream some work they've done
downstream. I can say this talk was a total success and we hope to see many
new faces during this release putting features and bug fixes into kolla.
Slides of the session at [1]

Second session was ``Kolla project update``, was a brief resume of what
work has been done during rocky release and some items will be implemented
in the future. Number of attendees to this session was massive, no more
people could enter the room. Slides at [2]

Then forum sessions..

First one was ``Kolla user feedback``, many users came over the room. We've
notice a big increase in production deployments and some PoC migrating to
production soon, many of those environments are huge.
Overall the impressions was that kolla is great and don't have any big
issue or requirement, ``it works great`` became a common phrase to listen.
Here's a resume of the user feedback needs [3]

- Improve operational usage for add, remove, change and stop/start nodes
and services.
- Database backup and recovery
- Lack of documentation is the bigger request, users need to read the code
to know how to configure other than core/default services
- Multi cells_v2
- New services request, cyborg, masakari and tricircle were the most
requested
- SElinux enabled
- More SDN services such as Contrail and calico
- Possibility to include user's ansible tasks during deploy as well as
support custom config.json
- HTTPS for internal networks

Second one was about ``kolla for the edge``, we've meet with Edge computing
group and others interested in edge deployments to identify what's missing
in kolla and where we can help.
Things we've identified are:

- Kolla seems good at how the service split can be done, tweaking inventory
file and config values can deploy independent environments easily.
- Missing keystone federation
- Glance cache support is not a hard requirement but improves efficiency
(already merged)
- Multi cells v2
- Multi storage per edge/far-edge
- A documentation or architecture reference would be nice to have.

Last one was ``kolla for NFV``, few people came over to discuss about NUMA,
GPU, SRIOV.
Nothing noticiable from this session, mainly was support DPDK for
CentOS/RHEL,OracleLinux and few service addition covered by previous
discussions.

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-stein-summit
[1]
https://es.slideshare.net/EduardoGonzalezGutie/kolla-project-onboarding-openstack-summit-berlin-2018