[Openstack-operators] [publiccloud] Feedback requested on use cases

Gianpietro Lavado glavado at whitestack.com
Thu May 31 19:13:05 UTC 2018

Hi team,

As mentioned briefly during Vancouver's forum meeting, we are working in
deploying OpenStack at a new public cloud operator, who found some gaps
compared to their current platform (OVirt)

We agreed to fix them and take the opportunity to contribute upstream if
applicable.

Since my experience is more related to private cloud space, I'm not sure if
these cases are already there or if it's worth to open them for discussion
in Launchpad. So if possible, I would like to receive a little bit of
feedback before documenting them at a detailed level.

I have a longer list, but here the three main ones:

   1. *Instance HA:* being able to mark some VMs with priority levels so
   when a compute node goes down, they are automatically rebuilt at some other
   node.
   2. *Compute node rebalancing: *rely on live migrations to periodically
   and automatically rebalance the capacity of compute nodes.
   3. *VM Agent*: something like the oVirt Guest Agent
   <https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/internal/guest-agent/understanding-guest-agents-and-other-tools/>,
   to be able to enhance interaction and get richer information from the VMs

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks!
Gianpietro