[Openstack-operators] [nova] proposal to postpone nova-network core functionality removal to Stein

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:35:43 UTC 2018

Hello Operators and Devs,

This cycle at the PTG, we had decided to start making some progress
toward removing nova-network [1] (thanks to those who have helped!) and
so far, we've landed some patches to extract common network utilities
from nova-network core functionality into separate utility modules. And
we've started proposing removal of nova-network REST APIs [2].

At the cells v2 sync with operators forum session at the summit [3], we
learned that CERN is in the middle of migrating from nova-network to
neutron and that holding off on removal of nova-network core
functionality until Stein would help them out a lot to have a safety net
as they continue progressing through the migration.

If we recall correctly, they did say that removal of the nova-network
REST APIs would not impact their migration and Surya Seetharaman is
double-checking about that and will get back to us. If so, we were
thinking we can go ahead and work on nova-network REST API removals this
cycle to make some progress while holding off on removing the core
functionality of nova-network until Stein.

I wanted to send this to the ML to let everyone know what we were
thinking about this and to receive any additional feedback folks might
have about this plan.

Thanks,
-melanie

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky L301