[Openstack-operators] pci passthrough & numa affinity

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu May 24 22:19:09 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 07:59:16AM +1000, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
:Hi Jon,
:
:Following up to the question you asked during the HPC on OpenStack
:panel at the summit yesterday...
:
:You might have already seen Daniel Berrange's blog on this topic:
:https://www.berrange.com/posts/2017/02/16/setting-up-a-nested-kvm-guest-for-developing-testing-pci-device-assignment-with-numa/
:? He essentially describes how you can get around the issue of the
:naive flat pci bus topology in the guest - exposing numa affinity of
:the PCIe root ports requires newish qemu and libvirt.

Thanks for the pointer not sure if I've seen that one, I've seen a few
ways to map manually.  I would have been quite surprised if nova did
this so I am poking at libvirt.xml outside nova for now

:However, best I can tell there is no way to do this with Nova today.
:Are you interested in working together on a spec for this?

I'm not yet convinced it's worth the bother, that's the crux of the
question I'm investigating.  Is this worth the effort?  There's a meta
question "do I have time to find out" :)

:The other related feature of interest here (newer though - no libvirt
:support yet I think) is gpu cliques
:(https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/dfbee78db8fdf7bc8c151c3d29504bb47438480b),
:would be really nice to have a way to set these up through Nova once
:libvirt supports it.

Thanks,
-Jon