[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Hard fail if you try to rename an AZ with instances in it?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:37:34 UTC 2018

On 03/27/2018 10:40 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Sylvain has had a spec up for awhile [1] about solving an old issue
> where admins can rename an AZ (via host aggregate metadata changes)
> while it has instances in it, which likely results in at least user
> confusion, but probably other issues later if you try to move those
> instances, e.g. the request spec probably points at the original AZ name
> and if that's gone (renamed) the scheduler probably pukes (would need to
> test this).
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone relies on this behavior, or if they
> consider it a bug that the API allows admins to do this? I tend to
> consider this a bug in the API, and should just be fixed without a
> microversion. In other words, you shouldn't have to opt out of broken
> behavior using microversions.

Yet another flaw in the "design" of availability zones being metadata
key/values on nova host aggregates.

If we want to actually fix the issue once and for all, we need to make
availability zones a real thing that has a permanent identifier (UUID)
and store that permanent identifier in the instance (not the instance
metadata).

Or we can continue to paper over major architectural weaknesses like this.

-jay