[Openstack-operators] How are you handling billing/chargeback?

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Mar 26 23:25:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 12:11 -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 03:21:13PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> > I'm curious what folks out there are using for chargeback/billing
> > in
> > your OpenStack environment.
>
> So far it looks like everyone is using a homegrown solution.  Is
> anyone using an existing product/project?

Hey,

We (Catalyst Cloud) wrote Distil which takes information out of
Ceilometer, and creates appropriate draft invoices in Odoo, the rating
information comes from products in Odoo. The accounting system is
module based, so should be easy enough to integrate with other systems.
We've added a number of other pollsters to Ceilometer to collect
various other items we want to bill, and we also have an sflow traffic
metering system which allows us to bill for different classes of
network traffic.

Source code for Distil is here: https://github.com/openstack/distil/
Traffic billing: https://github.com/catalyst/openstack-sflow-traffic-bi
lling
We've written an API for our customers to be able to retrieve their
invoices etc, example client is here:
https://github.com/catalyst-cloud/catalystcloud-billing

Cheers,
Andrew