[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] about rebuildinstance booted from volume

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:35:46 UTC 2018

On 3/15/2018 7:27 AM, 李杰 wrote:
> It seems that  we  can  only delete the snapshots of the original volume
> firstly,then delete the original volume if the original volume has
> snapshots.

Nova won't be deleting the volume snapshots just to delete the volume
during a rebuild.

If we decide to delete the root volume during rebuild
(delete_on_termination=True *or* we decide to not consider that flag
during rebuild), the rebuild operation will likely have to handle the
scenario that the volume has snapshots and can't be deleted.

Which opens up another question: if we hit that scenario, what should
the rebuild operation do? Log a warning and just detach the volume but
not delete it and continue, or fail?

Matt