[Openstack-operators] swift - 1 Billion object on a single container

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:03:26 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 2:39 AM, Kirubakaran Kaliannan <
kirubak at zadarastorage.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am seeing lot of threads and discussion on large container issues. We
> also have a spec (https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/swift-specs/specs/
> in_progress/container_sharding.html) to fix this in the future releases.

Yes, very soon - lots of progress on the feature/deep branch

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:merged+project:openstack/swift+branch:feature/deep

> Do we  have any performance number taken on large container or suggestion
> on  alternatives (other than distributing object into multiple containers –
> which is not possible due to the nature of the application) to improve this
> performance ?

you can turn down the container_update_timeout:

https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/etc/object-server.conf-sample#L64

-Clay