[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][heat][oslo.db] Configure maximum number of db connections

Spyros Trigazis strigazi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:19:46 UTC 2018

Hello list,

I'm hitting quite easily this [1] exception with heat. The db server is
configured to have 1000
max_connnections and 1000 max_user_connections and in the database section
of heat
conf I have these values set:
max_pool_size = 22

max_overflow = 0
Full config attached.

I ended up with this configuration based on this formula:
num_heat_hosts=4
heat_api_workers=2
heat_api_cfn_workers=2
num_engine_workers=4
max_pool_size=22
max_overflow=0
num_heat_hosts * (max_pool_size + max_overflow) * (heat_api_workers +
num_engine_workers + heat_api_cfn_workers)
704

What I have noticed is that the number of connections I expected with the
above formula is not respected.
Based on this formula each node (every node runs the heat-api, heat-api-cfn
and heat-engine) should
use up to 176 connections but they even reach 400 connections.

Has anyone noticed a similar behavior?

Cheers,
Spyros

heat-version: ocata
[1] "User heat already has more than 'max_user_connections' active
connections"