[Openstack-operators] large high-performance ephemeral storage

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:58:34 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can share experience with architecting Nova KVM boxes
for large capacity high-performance storage? We have some particular
use-cases that want both high-IOPs and large capacity local storage.

In the past we have used bcache with an SSD based RAID0 write-through
caching for a hardware (PERC) backed RAID volume. This seemed to work ok,
but we never really gave it a hard time. I guess if we followed a similar
pattern today we would use lvmcache (or are people still using bcache with
confidence?) with a few TB of NVMe and a NL-SAS array with write cache.

Is the collective wisdom to use LVM based instances for these use-cases?
Putting a host filesystem with qcow2 based disk images on it can't help
performance-wise... Though we have not used LVM based instance storage
before, are there any significant gotchas? And furthermore, is it possible
to use set IO QoS limits on these?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo