[Openstack-operators] [nova] isolate hypervisor to project

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jun 4 15:07:31 UTC 2018

On 06/04/2018 05:43 AM, Tobias Urdin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have received a question about a more specialized use case where we need to
> isolate several hypervisors to a specific project. My first thinking was
> using nova flavors for only that project and add extra specs properties to
> use a specific host aggregate but this means I need to assign values to all
> other flavors to not use those which seems weird.
>
> How could I go about solving this the easies/best way or from the
> history of the mailing lists, the most supported way since there is a
> lot of changes to scheduler/placement part right now?

There was a "Strict isolation of group of hosts for images" spec that was
proposed for a number of releases but never got accepted:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/381912/

The idea was to have special metadata on a host aggregate and a new scheduler
filter such that only instances with images having a property matching the
metadata would be allowed to land on that host aggregate.

In the end the spec was abandoned (see the final comment in the review) because
it was expected that a combination of other accepted features would enable the
desired behaviour.

It might be worth checking out the links in the final comment.

Chris