[Openstack-operators] attaching network cards to VMs taking a very long time

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:54:44 UTC 2018

On 6/2/2018 1:37 AM, Chris Apsey wrote:
> This is great.  I would even go so far as to say the install docs should
> be updated to capture this as the default; as far as I know there is no
> negative impact when running in daemon mode, even on very small
> deployments.  I would imagine that there are operators out there who
> have run into this issue but didn't know how to work through it - making
> stuff like this less painful is key to breaking the 'openstack is hard'
> stigma.

I think changing the default on the root_helper_daemon option is a good
idea if everyone is setting that anyway. There are some comments in the
code next to the option that make me wonder if there are edge cases
where it might not be a good idea, but I don't really know the details,
someone from the neutron team that knows more about it would have to
speak up.

Also, I wonder if converting to privsep in the neutron agent would
eliminate the need for this option altogether and still gain the
performance benefits.

Matt