[Openstack-operators] [publiccloud-wg] [adjutant] Input on Adjutant's official project status

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jul 12 04:01:21 UTC 2018

Hello fellow public cloud providers (and others)!

Adjutant is in the process of being voted in (or not) as an official
project as part of OpenStack, but to help over the last few hurdles,
some input from the people who would likely benefit the most directly
from such a service existing would really be useful.

In the past you've probably talked to me about the need for some form of
business logic related APIs and services in OpenStack (signup, account
termination, project/user management, billing details management, etc).
In that space I've been trying to push Adjutant as a solution, not
because it's the perfect solution, but because we are trying to keep the
service as a cloud agnostic solution that could be tweaked for the
unique requirements of various clouds. It's also a place were we can
collaborate on these often rather miscellaneous business logic
requirements rather than us each writing our own entirely distinct thing
and wasting time and effort reinventing the wheel again and again.

The review in question where this discussion has been happening for a while:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553643/

And if you don't know much about Adjutant, here is a little background.

The current mission statement is:
"To provide an extensible API framework for exposing to users an
organization's automated business processes relating to account
management across OpenStack and external systems, that can be adapted to
the unique requirements of an organization's processes."

The docs: https://adjutant.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
The code: https://github.com/openstack/adjutant

And here is a rough feature list that was put together as part of the
review process for official project status:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Adjutant_Features

If you have any questions about the service, don't hesitate to get in
touch, but some input on the current discussion would be very welcome!

Cheers,
Adrian Turjak