[Openstack-operators] Deprecation notice: Cinder Driver for NetApp E-Series

Gavioli, Luiz Luiz.Gavioli at netapp.com
Fri Jul 6 17:08:08 UTC 2018

Developers and Operators,

NetApp’s various Cinder drivers currently provide platform integration for ONTAP powered systems,

SolidFire, and E/EF-Series systems. Per systems-provided telemetry and discussion amongst our user

community, we’ve learned that when E/EF-series systems are deployed with OpenStack they do not

commonly make use of the platform specific Cinder driver (instead opting for use of the LVM

driver or Ceph layered atop). Given that, we’re proposing to cease further development and maintenance

of the E-Series drivers within OpenStack and will focus development on our widely used SolidFire and ONTAP options.

In accordance with community policy [1], we are initiating the deprecation process for the NetApp E-Series

drivers [2] set to conclude with their removal in the OpenStack Stein release. This will apply to both

protocols currently supported in this driver: iSCSI and FC.

What is being deprecated: Cinder drivers for NetApp E-Series

Period of deprecation: E-Series drivers will be around in stable/rocky and will be removed in the Stein

release (All milestones of this release)

What should users/operators do: Any Cinder E-series deployers are encouraged to get in touch with NetApp

via the community #openstack-netapp IRC channel on freenode or via the #OpenStack Slack channel

on http://netapp.io. We encourage migration to the LVM driver for continued use of E-series systems

in most cases via Cinder’s migrate facility [3].

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/580679/<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/456990/>
[3] https://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide/blockstorage-volume-migration.html

Thanks,