[Openstack-operators] Passing additional parameters to KVM for a single instance

Gary Molenkamp molenkam at uwo.ca
Fri Jan 26 15:59:28 UTC 2018

I'm trying to import a Solaris10 image into Ocata that is working under
libvirt/KVM on a Fedora workstation.  However, in order for the kvm
instance to work, it needs a few additional parameters to qemu that I
use in the libvirt XML file:

  <cpu match='exact'>
     <model fallback='allow'>Westmere</model>
   </cpu>

  <qemu:commandline>
      <qemu:arg value='-no-kvm-irqchip'/>
   </qemu:commandline>

For the first parameter, I know I could modify the /etc/nova/nova.conf
of the entire hypervisor on the compute node to Westmere and limit
instances to that hypervisor, but that limits additional instances on
that compute node.   Is there a way to instruct nova to use a westmere
cpu for a single instance?

Likewise, how can I pass the -no-kvm-irqchip option for instances of
this image?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Gary Molenkamp			Computer Science
Systems Administrator		University of Western Ontario