[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][nova] Verbosity of nova scheduler

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 18:38:05 UTC 2018

On 1/9/2018 8:18 AM, Piotr Bielak wrote:
> Hi! I'm conducting some research about the nova scheduler logs
> verbosity. Did you ever encounter any situation, where you didn't feel
> satisfied with the amount or quality of the logs (at any log level).
> It is known that the nova-scheduler produces hardly any logs at INFO
> level. What are your experiences with the nova-scheduler in production
> environments? What would you like to see in the logs, what isn't printed
> at the moment (maybe some expected log format)?

You might be interested in this older spec:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/improve-sched-logging.html

Also, there is a noticeable impact to performance when running the
scheduler with debug logging enabled which is why it's not recommended
to run with debug enabled in production.

Matt