[Openstack-operators] [nova] nova-compute automatically disabling itself?

Chris Apsey bitskrieg at bitskrieg.net
Tue Feb 6 20:14:46 UTC 2018

All,

This was the core issue - setting
consecutive_build_service_disable_threshold = 0 in nova.conf (on
controllers and compute nodes) solved this.  It was being triggered by
neutron dropping requests (and/or responses) for vif-plugging due to cpu
usage on the neutron endpoints being pegged at 100% for too long.  We
increased our rpc_response_timeout value and this issue appears to be
resolved for the time being.  We can probably safely remove the
consecutive_build_service_disable_threshold option at this point, but we
would rather have intermittent build failures rather than compute nodes
falling over in the future.

Slightly related, we are noticing that neutron endpoints are using
noticeably more CPU time recently than in the past w/ a similar workload
(we run linuxbridge w/ vxlan).  We believe this is tied to our
application of KPTI for meltdown mitigation across the various hosts in
our cluster (the timeline matches).  Has anyone else experienced similar
impacts or can suggest anything to try to lessen the impact?

---
v/r

Chris Apsey
bitskrieg at bitskrieg.net