[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] heads up to users of Aggregate[Core|Ram|Disk]Filter: behavior change in >= Ocata

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:58:49 UTC 2018

On 01/29/2018 06:48 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What I believe we can do is change the behaviour so that if a 0.0 value is
>> found in the nova.conf file on the nova-compute worker, then instead of
>> defaulting to 16.0, the resource tracker would first look to see if the
>> compute node was associated with a host aggregate that had the
>> "cpu_allocation_ratio" a metadata item. If one was found, then the host
>> aggregate's cpu_allocation_ratio would be used. If not, then the 16.0
>> default would be used.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best,
>> -jay
>>

> I don't mind this kind of fix.
> I just want to make sure developers will be able to support it in the
> future and not yank it out of frustration. =)
> If a proper fix can be found later, I don't mind.
> But I want to make sure I don't end up in a "broken" version where I
> would need to skip 1-2 releases to get a working fix.

FYI, I've added both the "nova-compute doesn't overwrite the first host
aggregate's allocation ratio with the 'default' values" thing as well as
the CLI tool to modify batches of resource provider inventory allocation
ratios at a time to the PTG agenda:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky

Best,
-jay