[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [all] Bringing the community together (combine the lists!)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Aug 31 12:02:23 UTC 2018

On 08/30/2018 11:33 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-08-30 22:49:26 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> I really don't want this. I'm happy with things being sorted in
>> multiple lists, even though I'm subscribed to multiples.
>
> I understand where you're coming from

I'm coming from the time when OpenStack had a list on launchpad where
everything was mixed. We did the split because it was really annoying to
have everything mixed.

> I was accustomed to communities where developers had one mailing
> list, users had another, and whenever a user asked a question on the
> developer mailing list they were told to go away and bother the user
> mailing list instead (not even a good, old-fashioned "RTFM" for
> their trouble).

I don't think that's what we are doing. Usually, when someone does the
mistake, we do reply to him/her, at the same time pointing to the
correct list.

> You're probably intimately familiar with at least
> one of these communities. ;)

I know what you have in mind! Indeed, in that list, it happens that some
people are a bit harsh to users. Hopefully, the folks in OpenStack devel
aren't like this.

> As the years went by, it's become apparent to me that this is
> actually an antisocial behavior pattern

In the OpenStack lists, every day, some developers take the time to
answer users. So I don't see what there is to fix.

> I believe OpenStack actually wants users to see the
> development work which is underway, come to understand it, and
> become part of that process.

Users are very much welcome in our -dev list. I don't think there's a
problem here.

> Requiring them to have their
> conversations elsewhere sends the opposite message.

In many places and occasion, we've sent the correct message.

On 08/30/2018 11:45 PM, Jimmy McArthur wrote:
> IMO this is easily solved by tagging.  If emails are properly tagged
> (which they typically are), most email clients will properly sort on
> rules and you can just auto-delete if you're 100% not interested in a
> particular topic.

This topically works with folks used to send tags. It doesn't for new
comers, which is what you see with newbies coming to ask questions.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)