[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [kolla][ptg] Denver PTG on-site or virtual

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Fri Aug 17 11:27:04 UTC 2018

As one of the lucky three kolleagues able to make the PTG, here's my
position (inline).

On 17 August 2018 at 11:52, Eduardo Gonzalez <dabarren at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fellow kolleages.
>
> In september is Denver PTG, as per the etherpad [0] only 3 contributors
> confirmed their presence in the PTG, we expected more people to be there as
> previous PTGs were full of contributors and operators.
>
> In the last kolla meeting [1] with discussed if we should make a virtual
> PTG rather than a on-site one as we will probably reach a bigger number of
> attendance.
>
> This set us in a bad possition as per:
>
> If we do an on-site PTG
>
> - Small representation for a whole cycle design, being this one larger
> than usual.
> - Many people whiling to attend is not able to be there.

I agree that three is too small a number to justify an on-site PTG. I was
planning to split my time between kolla and ironic, so being able to focus
on one project would be beneficial to me, assuming the virtual PTG takes
place at a different time. I could still split my time if the virtual PTG
occurs at the same time.

> If we do a virtual PTG
>
> - Some people already spend money to travel for kolla PTG

I would be going anyway.

> - PTG rooms are already reserved for kolla session

If the virtual PTG occurs at the same time, we could use the (oversized)
reserved room to dial into calls.

- No cross project discussion

Happy to attend on behalf of kolla and feed back to the team.

> If there are more people who is going to Denver and haven't signed up at
> the etherpad, please confirm your presence as it will probably influence on
> this topic.
>
> Here is the though question...
>
> What kind of PTG do you prefer for this one, virtual or on-site in Denver?

Virtual makes sense to me.