[Openstack-operators] [nova] StarlingX diff analysis

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:03:28 UTC 2018

In case you haven't heard, there was this StarlingX thing announced at
the last summit. I have gone through the enormous nova diff in their
repo and the results are in a spreadsheet [1]. Given the enormous
spreadsheet (see a pattern?), I have further refined that into a set of
high-level charts [2].

I suspect there might be some negative reactions to even doing this type
of analysis lest it might seem like promoting throwing a huge pile of
code over the wall and expecting the OpenStack (or more specifically the
nova) community to pick it up. That's not my intention at all, nor do I
expect nova maintainers to be responsible for upstreaming any of this.

This is all educational to figure out what the major differences and
overlaps are and what could be constructively upstreamed from the
starlingx staging repo since it's not all NFV and Edge dragons in here,
there are some legitimate bug fixes and good ideas. I'm sharing it
because I want to feel like my time spent on this in the last week
wasn't all for nothing.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ugp1FVWMsu4x3KgrmPf7HGX8Mh1n80v-KVzweSDZunU/edit?usp=sharing
[2]