[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Default scheduler filters survey

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sun Apr 29 21:29:17 UTC 2018

On Apr 29, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Artom Lifshitz <alifshit at redhat.com> wrote:

> Based on that, we can definitely say that SameHostFilter and
> DifferentHostFilter do *not* belong in the defaults. In fact, we got
> our defaults pretty spot on, based on this admittedly very limited
> dataset. The only frequently occurring filter that's not in our
> defaults is AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter.

Another data point that might be illuminating is: how many sites use a custom (i.e., not in-tree) filter or weigher? One of the original design tenets of the scheduler was that we did not want to artificially limit what people could use to control their deployments, but inside of Nova there is a lot of confusion as to whether anyone is using anything but the included filters.

So - does anyone out there rely on a filter and/or weigher that they wrote themselves, and maintain outside of OpenStack?

-- Ed Leafe