[Openstack-operators] Strange behaviour change in cinder with a Dell compellent backend

Rajini.Karthik at Dell.com Rajini.Karthik at Dell.com
Thu Apr 26 15:23:35 UTC 2018

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

We track the SAN’s internal ID for the volume. This isn’t something that the user can create. Your options are to change the OpenStack database provider_id for the volume to match the new ID.
Hope this helps
Rajini

From: Jean-Philippe Méthot [mailto:jp.methot at planethoster.info]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:10 PM
To: Sean McGinnis
Cc: openstack-operators
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] Strange behaviour change in cinder with a Dell compellent backend

Thank you for your reply. This implies that the SAN keeps track of a volume’s native ID. So, for example, if I had a VM that was trying to mount an inexistant volume ID after migration, I could fix this by creating a new volume with the proper ID and just migrate the data from the volume that was in-use previously. That was my main concern and now it does make the process of fixing this simpler.

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack
PlanetHoster inc.