[Openstack-operators] [nova] Forum topics brainstorming

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 21:45:29 UTC 2017

On 9/21/2017 4:01 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> So this shouldn't be news now that I've read back through a few emails
> in the mailing list (I've been distracted with the Pike release, PTG
> planning, etc) [1][2][3] but we have until Sept 29 to come up with
> whatever forum sessions we want to propose.
>
> There is already an etherpad for Nova [4].
>
> The list of proposed topics is here [5]. The good news is we're not the
> last ones to this party.
>
> So let's start throwing things on the etherpad and figure out what we
> want to propose as forum session topis. If memory serves me, in Pike we
> were pretty liberal in what we proposed.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/121783.html
>
> [2]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122143.html
>
> [3]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122454.html
>
> [4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD-nova-brainstorming
> [5] http://forumtopics.openstack.org/

The deadline for Queens Forum topic submissions is tomorrow. Based on
our etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD-nova-brainstorming

I plan to propose something like:

1. Cells v2 update and direction

This would be an update on what happened in Pike, upgrade impacts, known
issues, etc and what we're doing in Queens. I think we'd also lump the
Pike quota behavior changes in here too if possible.

2. Placement update and direction

Same as the Cells v2 discussion - a Pike update and the focus items for
Queens. This would also be a place we can mention the Ironic flavor
migration to custom resource classes that happens in Pike.

3. Queens development focus and checkpoint

This would be a session to discuss anything in flight for Queens, what
we're working on, and have a chance to ask questions of operators/users
for feedback. For example, we plan to add vGPU support but it will be
quite simple to start, similar with volume multi-attach.

4. Michael Still had an item in the etherpad about privsep. That could
be a cross-project educational session on it's own if he's going to give
a primer on what privsep is again and how it's integrated into projects.
This session could be lumped into #3 above but is probably better on
it's own if it's going to include discussion about operational impacts.
I'm going to ask that mikal runs with this though.

----

There are some other things in the etherpad about hardware acceleration
features and documentation, and I'll leave it up to others if they want
to propose those sessions.

Matt