[Openstack-operators] [nova] [neutron] Should we continue providing FQDNs for instance hostnames?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 16:10:00 UTC 2017

On 9/22/2017 10:02 AM, Volodymyr Litovka wrote:
> And another topic, in Neutron, regarding domainname. Any DHCP-server,
> created by Neutron, will return "domain" derived from system-wide
> "dns_name" parameter (defined in neutron.conf and explicitly used in
> argument "--domain" of dnsmasq). There is no way to customize this
> parameter on a per-network basis (parameter "dns_domain" is in action
> only with Designate, no other ways to use it). Again, it would be great
> if it will be possible to set per-network domain name in order to deal
> with DHCP / DNS queries from connected VMs.

Per:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/mitaka/implemented/internal-dns-resolution.html

https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/network/v2/index.html#dns-integration

I thought this was all possible since Mitaka such that you could
configure neutron and designate to put a DNS domain on a network.

That's what Stephen was talking about in the original email, was should
we use that, if available, rather than the dhcp_domain option in nova.

I think this came up a bit last week in Denver at the PTG, and there was
some consensus around doing something like:

1. For a new instance, if the neutron network has a dns_domain set, use
it. I'm not totally sure how we tell from the metadata API if it's a new
instance or not, except when we're building the config drive, but that
could be sorted out.
2. Otherwise use the dhcp_domain config option in nova.

Matt