[Openstack-operators] Guest crash and KVM unhandled rdmsr

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:59:50 UTC 2017

Hi Saverio,

On 13 October 2017 at 09:05, Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this link in my browser history:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm/+bug/1583819

Thanks. Yes, have seen that one too.

> Is it the same messages that you are seeing in Xenial ?

There are a handful of different MSRs mentioned, and these are not
always the same across each "burst" of unhandled rdmsr log messages.

After a bit of further head-scratching we think the crashes are
actually occurring due to kernel panics following SLUB memory
allocation failures related to heavy Lustre workloads. We've now
started patching Lustre clients for that and seeing the guest crash
stop. At this point I don't have any idea why this seems to correspond
with rdmsr attempts though (and actually it looks like the rdmsr
happens just prior to the SLUB failures).

--
Cheers,
~Blairo