[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Time for API removal?

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Oct 13 16:30:09 UTC 2017

adding ops list

On 2017-10-13 11:01 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> We deprecated the Ceilometer API last year (Ocata) and our latest user
> survery shows than more than 50% of our users are now using Gnocchi or
> something else than the old deprecated storage methods.

thanks to all those that moved off legacy storage.

> I'm starting to think it's time to stop carrying this dead code around.
> The biggest reason, other than cleaning our code base, is to stop having
> confusing options such as, e.g., "time-to-live" that make users being
> confused about where to configure the expiration of their metrics.
>
> The question, is there any compelling reason to keep this deprecated
> stuffs for one more cycle?

i'm ok with removing it. the amount of questions i've fielded related to
Ceilometer API has dropped over the year we've officially deprecated
it[1]. more importantly, we've had arguably no non-trivial patches to
improve this legacy code for over 2 years so it's probably best to
remove it so any new users don't read an old doc and attempt to install
ceilometer storage.

i just checked docs and the install guide docs back to newton already
tell people to use Gnocchi or something else.

tl;dr let's burn this down unless some hidden figure who's contributing
speaks up.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/commit/6616a714009a80c7484fa2292c2331868617cb9c#diff-074c02939ac2ca794f659d87981d2220

cheers,