[Openstack-operators] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 22:25:42 UTC 2017

On 10/6/2017 1:30 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> +1
>
> I am also personally frustrated by the same thing clint is,
>
> It seems that somewhere along the line we lost the direction of cloud vs
> VPS, and somewhere it was sold (or not sold) that openstack is good for
> both (when it really isn't imho),
>
> http://cloudscaling.com/blog/cloud-computing/the-history-of-pets-vs-cattle/
>
> C'est la vie :-/

I get it, but in this case the ship has sailed on rebuild. People are
using it. It's been around forever.

The point of the question that started this thread is really, do we
allow this minor thing to come into the API (user_data) to replace
something we're removing from the API (personality files).

In the grand scheme of things, this is not going to make or break
anything probably, it might make some users happy but I certainly don't
think it's a monumental step in supporting pets.

Completely new API workflows like built-in instance HA or something like
that to Nova would be spending a lot of time and resource on supporting
pets within Nova, and this isn't that thing.

Matt